I've been noticing that Pinterest has been overloaded lately with a flood of dieting and exercise tips, and low cal recipes. This has made me feel A) Inspired to get on a treadmill and B) Like I want to stick my head in the oven to block out all this annoying dieting talk... When I do get into these random health kicks, my brain gets all gun ho and Billy Blanks bootcampish but then my mouth wimps out like a traitor, and eats the leftover Valentine's day candy in the back of the pantry.
My only saving grace is that I make dinner for my family almost every day of the week and we eat fairly healthy and always homemade. We just had the best baked salmon with a yummy coleslaw side which everyone had seconds (and some thirds) of:
This is a great low cal side dish is one of my smeazy (smart, easy, lazy) recipe standbys, that you can make under 6 minutes.
Jazzed Up Slaw
- 1 bag of coleslaw cabbage mix with carrots, or one head of green and red cabbage, shredded plus 1 1/2 C. matchstick carrots.
- 1/2 C.- sliced almonds, toasted.
- 1/2 C. - Dried cranberries or raisins
- 4 - green onions with stalks, chopped
- 1/4 C. - chopped parsley
- Coleslaw dressing, Asian vinaigrette, or honey Dijon dressing.
Sometimes coleslaw dressings can have alot of sugar in them, and not be very low cal friendly, so check out different vinaigrettes or make your own, if that's an issue.
It's ridiculously good.